Going through a divorce? what do you do now?

Securing College Funding From A Non-Custodial Parent During Or After A Divorce

During a divorce, if one parent is deemed unfit then the other parent will often be given full custody of the child or children from the relationship. Sometimes, when it is time for the child or children to go to college the non-custodial parent may refuse to pay for the child's college tuition. If you are a custodial parent who is in the process of getting a divorce or if you have already gotten a divorce, here are a few tips you should bear in mind in order to ensure that you get the non-custodial parent to assist with paying for your child or children's college education.

Be Proactive

While the divorce is underway you should ask that money for your child's college education be part of the divorce settlement. Get the funds put away into a trust fund or escrow account monthly so that your child can have access to them when they are ready for college. You may also request a lump sum payment as part of the divorce settlement. However, if your children are young it can be a bit problematic to determine the future cost of your child's college tuition in order to get a correct lump sum. In order to get a correct financial estimate of your child's future college education you should consult a financial planner. Bear in mind that any college support settlement that you enter into should include the following:

  1. The percentage of college expenses that each parent will provide
  2. Details about the type of expenses that will be covered.  For example, one parent may agree to pay room and board while one pays for textbooks.
  3. Restrictions about which college your child can apply for and attend, since this can greatly affect the cost.

Go To Court

If no provision was made for your child's college tuition during the divorce, you can petition the court to get the necessary financial support. However, not all states support this kind of legal petition. The best way to find out if your state allows you to file this type of petition is to contact a family law attorney.

A college education is of utmost importance. Make sure that you think ahead so that you can have enough finances to support your child's educational goals. Do not hesitate to speak to a family lawyer during or after your divorce about securing funds from an ex-spouse for your child or children's college education. To find out more, speak with someone like Susan M Caplin.