Many people don't realize that there are two types of contempt of court charges—civil and criminal. Learn more about the difference between the two and what can actually happen if you are charged. The Purpose Of Civil Contempt Charges The purpose of a civil contempt charge is coercion. It's generally used as a tool to get a legal issue that's stalled back in motion. The court levels the contempt charge as a way to pressure the individual into doing what it wants—essentially putting the individual in charge of his or her own sentence. [Read More]
Opioid Addiction And Death: Courts And States Get Tough With Doctors And Health Care Providers
When it comes to finding someone society can blame for increasing painkiller addictions and overdose-related deaths, there's plenty of liability to go around. A study in 2012 found that 60% of all opiate-caused deaths occurred among people who were prescribed the painkillers according to approved medical standards and used their pills exactly as directed. The remaining 40% of deaths occurred among patients who doctor-shopped for multiple prescriptions or bought their pills on the street. [Read More]
Tips That Motorcycle Accident Attorneys In Florida Wish Young Drivers And Their Parents Knew
If your son or daughter is under the age of 21 and wants to ride a motorcycle in Florida, it is important to know that many of the practices he or she regularly engages in could be illegal when they are on a motorbike. For instance, you may be surprised to learn that Florida state law prohibits the use of ear buds or headphones, except for communication, by persons operating a motorcycle. [Read More]
What Is An Incorporated Settlement Agreement In Divorce?
When dealing with divorce agreements and settlements, you will likely come across the terms "merged" and "incorporated." What exactly does "incorporated" mean when dealing with a settlement agreement? Here's all you need to know to help you discuss your options with your lawyer. Becoming Part of the Divorce Decree Incorporated settlement agreements become part of the divorce decree. It can be enforced at a later point in the proceedings. Those who don't follow through with these parts of the agreement can be held in contempt of court. [Read More]